Navigating the US Immigration System: A Step-by-Step Guide to Applying for an EAD and Social Security Number


Table of Contents

Navigating the US immigration system can be overwhelming, especially when it comes to applying for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) and a Social Security Number (SSN). These two documents are essential for individuals who are legally allowed to work in the United States but are not citizens or permanent residents. Fortunately, understanding the step-by-step process can help ease the stress and ensure a smoother application process.

In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through the process of obtaining an EAD and SSN. From understanding the eligibility criteria to gathering the necessary documents and submitting the applications, we will provide you with all the information you need to navigate this complex system successfully. Whether you are a foreign student, temporary worker, or a dependant of an immigrant, this guide will help you understand the requirements and procedures involved in obtaining an EAD and SSN.

Stay tuned as we delve into the intricacies of the US immigration system, breaking down the steps you need to take to apply for an EAD and SSN. Let’s demystify these processes and empower you with the knowledge you need to kickstart your journey in the United States.

Eligibility for an EAD and Social Security Number

To be eligible for an EAD, you must fall into one of the categories specified by the USCIS. These categories include but are not limited to:

1. Asylees and refugees: Individuals who have been granted asylum or refugee status in the US.

2. F-1 students: Foreign students studying in the US on a valid F-1 visa.

3. H-1B visa holders: Temporary workers employed in a specialty occupation.

4. L-1 visa holders: Intracompany transferees who work for multinational companies.

5. Dependants of employment-based visa holders: Spouses and children of individuals with certain employment-based visas.

To be eligible for a Social Security Number, you must meet the following requirements:

1. Be authorized to work in the US by the USCIS.

2. Have a valid reason for needing a Social Security Number, such as employment or government benefits.

3. Be at least 18 years old.

It’s important to note that some nonimmigrant visa holders, such as B-1 visitors for business or B-2 tourists, are not eligible for an EAD or SSN unless they have specific authorization from the USCIS. Now that we have covered the eligibility criteria, let’s discuss the required documents for the EAD and SSN application.

Required documents for EAD and Social Security Number application

When applying for an EAD, you will need to gather the following documents:

1. Form I-765: This is the application form for an EAD. It must be completed accurately and submitted along with the required supporting documents.

2. Proof of eligibility: Depending on your category, you will need to provide supporting documents that prove your eligibility for an EAD. For example, if you are an F-1 student, you will need to submit a copy of your Form I-20 issued by your school.

3. Identity documents: You will need to provide proof of your identity, such as a copy of your passport, birth certificate, or driver’s license.

4. Passport-style photographs: You will need to include two passport-style photographs with your EAD application.

When applying for a Social Security Number, you will need to provide the following documents:

1. Form SS-5: This is the application form for a Social Security Number. It must be completed accurately and submitted to the Social Security Administration.

2. Proof of identity: You will need to provide original documents that prove your identity, such as a passport, birth certificate, or US driver’s license.

3. Proof of employment authorization: You will need to provide documents that prove your authorization to work in the US, such as your EAD or visa.

4. Completed Form W-4: This form is used to determine your federal income tax withholding.

Make sure to review the specific requirements and instructions provided by the USCIS and SSA for the most up-to-date information on required documents. Once you have gathered all the necessary documents, it’s time to fill out and submit the EAD and SSN applications.

How to fill out and submit the EAD and Social Security Number application

Filling out the EAD and SSN applications correctly is crucial to avoid delays or rejections. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to complete and submit these applications:

1. Download and print the application forms: Visit the USCIS and SSA websites to download the latest versions of the Form I-765 (EAD) and Form SS-5 (SSN).

2. Read the instructions carefully: Each form comes with detailed instructions on how to complete it. Make sure to read and understand these instructions before filling out the forms.

3. Provide accurate information: Fill out the forms accurately and honestly. Double-check your answers to ensure there are no errors or inconsistencies.

4. Include all required documents: Attach the necessary supporting documents as outlined in the instructions for each form. Make sure to include copies, not originals, unless specifically requested.

5. Pay the fees: Check the USCIS and SSA websites for the current fees associated with the EAD and SSN applications. Include the correct payment method, such as a check or money order, with your application.

6. Review and submit: Before submitting your applications, review them thoroughly to ensure everything is complete and accurate. Make copies of all documents for your records.

7. Mail your applications: Send your completed applications, along with the supporting documents and fees, to the appropriate USCIS and SSA addresses as specified in the instructions.

It’s important to note that the application process may vary depending on your specific circumstances and category. Always refer to the official USCIS and SSA resources for the most accurate and up-to-date information.

Processing times and what to expect after submitting your application

Processing times and what to expect after submitting your application

After submitting your EAD and SSN applications, you may be wondering how long it will take to receive these documents. The processing times for EADs and SSNs can vary depending on various factors, including the USCIS workload and the complexity of your case.

For EADs, the USCIS typically processes applications within 90 days. However, it’s not uncommon for processing times to exceed this timeframe, especially during peak periods. You can check the USCIS website for the current processing times and track the status of your application online.

For SSNs, the processing times can vary depending on the workload of the SSA office handling your application. In general, you can expect to receive your SSN within two to four weeks after submitting your application. If you haven’t received your SSN within this timeframe, you can contact the SSA for an update.

During the waiting period, it’s essential to keep copies of all your application materials and any correspondence with the USCIS and SSA. This will help you track the progress of your applications and address any issues that may arise. Speaking of issues, let’s discuss some common problems applicants encounter and how to resolve them.

Common issues and how to resolve them

While the EAD and SSN application process is generally straightforward, there are some common issues that applicants may face. Here are a few examples and how to resolve them:

1. Delays in processing: If your application is taking longer than the average processing time, you can contact the USCIS or SSA to inquire about the status of your case. Be prepared to provide your application receipt number or other identifying information.

2. Request for additional evidence: Sometimes, the USCIS or SSA may request additional information or documents to complete your application. Follow the instructions provided and submit the requested materials promptly to avoid further delays.

3. Incorrect information on your documents: If you notice any errors or discrepancies on your EAD or SSN, contact the USCIS or SSA immediately to request corrections. Provide any necessary documentation to support your request.

4. Lost or stolen documents: If your EAD or SSN card is lost or stolen, report it to the appropriate authorities as soon as possible. You may need to apply for a replacement card and follow the necessary procedures outlined by the USCIS or SSA.

Remember, it’s crucial to address any issues or concerns promptly to avoid complications in your employment or legal status. Now that we have covered the application process, let’s discuss renewing your EAD and SSN.

Renewing your EAD and Social Security Number

Both the EAD and SSN have expiration dates, so it’s important to renew these documents accordingly. Here’s what you need to know about renewing your EAD and SSN:

1. EAD renewal: You should submit your EAD renewal application at least 120 days before your current EAD expires. Follow the same process as the initial application, including filling out the Form I-765 and providing the required supporting documents. Keep in mind that your eligibility for an EAD renewal may depend on maintaining your status or meeting certain criteria.

2. SSN renewal: Social Security Numbers do not expire, so there is no need to renew your SSN. However, if your SSN card is lost or stolen, you can apply for a replacement card by following the SSA’s procedures.

Always check the USCIS and SSA websites for the most up-to-date information on renewal processes and requirements. Now that we have covered the application and renewal processes, let’s share some tips for navigating the US immigration system.

Tips for navigating the US Immigration System

Navigating the US immigration system can be complex and challenging. Here are some tips to help you navigate the process more effectively:

1. Stay informed: Keep up-to-date with the latest immigration laws, policies, and procedures. Regularly check the USCIS and SSA websites for any updates or changes that may affect your applications or status.

2. Seek professional guidance: If you find the immigration process overwhelming, consider consulting with an immigration attorney or a reputable immigration service provider. They can provide personalized guidance and support throughout the application process.

3. Be organized: Keep copies of all your application materials, correspondence, and important documents. This will help you track your progress, address any issues, and provide evidence if needed.

4. Follow instructions carefully: Read and understand all the instructions provided by the USCIS and SSA before filling out the application forms. Failure to follow instructions accurately can result in delays or rejections.

5. Plan ahead: Start the application process well in advance to allow for any unexpected delays or additional requirements. Applying early will help ensure that you have your EAD and SSN in a timely manner.

6. Keep track of deadlines: Be aware of any deadlines for submitting your applications or renewing your documents. Missing deadlines can result in complications and potential loss of employment authorization.

7. Stay patient: The immigration process can sometimes be lengthy and complicated. Stay patient and proactive, and follow up with the USCIS or SSA if necessary.

By following these tips, you can navigate the US immigration system more confidently and increase your chances of a successful application process. With your EAD and SSN in hand, you can embark on your journey in the United States with greater ease and peace of mind.


An Employment Authorization Document (EAD) is a document issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) that grants temporary employment authorization to individuals who are not US citizens or permanent residents. It serves as proof that the holder is allowed to work legally in the US for a specific period of time. The EAD is usually valid for one year and can be renewed if the individual remains eligible.

On the other hand, a Social Security Number (SSN) is a unique nine-digit number issued by the Social Security Administration (SSA) to individuals for the purpose of tracking their earnings and benefits. It is primarily used for tax purposes and is required for anyone who wants to work in the US. The SSN is also used for other purposes, such as opening a bank account or applying for government benefits.

Obtaining an EAD and SSN is crucial for non-citizens who wish to work legally in the United States. These documents not only provide employment authorization but also open doors to various opportunities, such as obtaining a driver’s license or applying for credit. Now that we understand the importance of these documents, let’s explore the eligibility criteria for obtaining an EAD and SSN.

Why The Piri Law Firm?

Fluent in Spanish & French

Experienced Immigration Lawyer

Multiple Immigration Cases of Many Different Types Won

Understands the U.S. and Texas Immigration Laws

Experienced Trial Attorney

Will Advise You on Expected Outcomes

Michael Will Help You Stay In The US

Michael Protects Your Rights

Practice Areas | The Piri Law Firm

Immigration Practice Areas at The Piri Law Firm

Dedicated Immigration Defense Legal Services

We encourage you to contact our attorney’s office with any questions or concerns for a free 30-minute consultation.

42B Cancellation of Removal

Embarking on the immigration journey can be daunting, but with the expert guidance of Attorney Michael Piri, navigating the complexities of the 42B Cancellation of Removal becomes achievable.

Adjustment Of Status

Attorney Michael Piri's unwavering dedication and proficiency act as a guiding light, making the path to adjustment of status navigable and, ultimately, transformative for many.

K-1 Fianc(é)e Visa Attorney

As an experienced immigration attorney, Michael Piri is dedicated to weaving compelling and empowering love stories through his expertise in K-1 Fiancé Visa applications.

CBP One Process

Looking to navigate the CBP One Process seamlessly? Attorney Michael Piri provides expert guidance to streamline your experience.

Temporary Protected Status

Look to the future with confidence as Attorney Michael Piri empowers you to navigate the complexities of Temporary Protected Status (TPS) in the United States.

Deferred Action

Empowering Dreamers is more than a mission for Michael Piri. It’s a tangible reality shaped by his unwavering dedication to advocating for Deferred Action and immigration reform.


If you're seeking a green card, citizenship, visa's, asylum, or facing deportation, our immigration lawyer can help you.


You can trust our Dallas asylum lawyer team if you are looking for a reputable asylum lawyer to help you with your asylum case in Dallas, TX.

Immigration Court

Regardless of your case's situation in the immigration court, you should start working with an immigration lawyer sooner rather than later.

Family-Based Visas

As an experienced immigration lawyer, Piri understands the challenges and frustrations many families face when it comes to obtaining family-based visas.

Special Immigration Juvenile

Attorney Michael Piri is on a mission to transform the lives of immigrant juveniles through Special Immigration Juvenile Classification (SIJ).

24/7 Free 30-Minute Consultation Call

If you are an immigrant and were arrested, or you have questions and would like to discuss them with an accomplished Dallas Fort Worth criminal defense attorney or an experienced immigration lawyer, call The Piri Law Firm at (833) 600-0029 or submit your case below for a free consultation.